To provide high school students in Greene and Washington Counties with support and assistance through an outreach mentorship program, designed to assist the student in making more informed education and career choices. Establishing an ongoing partnership with an Equitrans employee mentor who will provide encouragement, guidance and direction enables the student to gain confidence, clarity and the ability to succeed on his or her own.
The ASPIRE program is uniquely designed for high school students who would like to attend a post-high school educational institution, but may need additional support and guidance with regard to career choices, long range planning and personal development, as well as assistance with college selection and financial aid applications. Students apply as sophomores and enter the program as juniors. They must be able and committed to attending all events, working with a mentor and preparing a senior application and presentation.
The Equitrans ASPIRE program began in 1995. ASPIRE is comprised of Equitrans employees who volunteer their time to serve as student mentors and/or committee members who govern the program to provide community outreach to students in Greene and Washington Counties. ASPIRE partners with Junior Achievement of Western Pennsylvania on certain events and one of the senior scholarship awards.
The Mentorship Program
Beginning each summer, and continuing for a two-year period, selected students will be eligible for the mentorship program. Mentors will:
- Develop a professional relationship with the student, which provides encouragement, guidance, direction and support
- Assist the student with making college choices
- Assist the student with setting academic and career goals
Throughout the year, students will participate with their mentors in:
- Educational workshops
- Social activities
- Recreational events
- Community outreach
The Scholarship Program
- ASPIRE awards up to four scholarships of up to $5,000 to seniors currently in the program
- Senior students are eligible for scholarships based on participation throughout the program, as well as the senior application and presentation
To Be Eligible for the ASPIRE Program, Students Must Be
- Currently a sophomore in high school in Greene or Washington Counties in Pennsylvania
- Intent on attending either a technical institute or community or four-year college or university
- In good standing with grade point averages of 2.75 or higher